- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 3 pounds yellow onions, peeled and julienned
- 1/3 cup bourbon whiskey
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup freshly grated Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven or large, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the onions and cook, stirring, until dark golden brown and caramelized, about 15 minutes. Add the remaining onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until a deep caramel color, about 1 hour. Add the bourbon and cook, stirring occasionally, until evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients except the cheese, and stir well. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick and fragrant, about 1 hour. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- To serve, sprinkle each portion with grated Swiss cheese.