- 2 dozen fresh oysters, shucked on the half shell
- 4 cups finely crushed ice
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- MIGNONETTE SAUCE:
- 2 teaspoons finely crushed white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- Put 1 cup of ice in each of 4 large, shallow, rimmed soup bowls, or small, decorative trays and press down gently to make a level bed. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the kosher salt over each bowl of ice. Place 6 oysters in their shells on each bed.
- In a small bowl, combine the white pepper, salt, wine, olive oil, and shallots, and whisk to blend.
- Spoon an equal amount of the sauce over each, or place in small decorative ramekins and serve on the side.