- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch cinnamon
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups long grain or basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons sliced scallions
- In a medium saucepan, heat the turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon over low heat until fragrant, stirring, about 30 seconds. Add the water, salt, and butter and bring to a boil. Add the rice and stir well. Cover and reduce heat to a bare simmer. Cook, covered, without stirring until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, without stirring, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork, add scallions, and serve.