- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 10 pieces dense white bread, crusts removed and cut in half diagonally
- 2 tablespoons butter, for cooking
- Assortment of American caviars
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche, or sour cream
- Minced fresh chives
- Optional toppings/accompaniments: thinly sliced smoked salmon, minced red onions, sieved hard-boiled eggs, minced parsley, lemon wedges
- In a shallow dish or bowl, mix eggs with milk and lightly beat. Season with salt and pepper. Place the bread in the egg mixture, and turn so the bread soaks up the eggs. Preheat a griddle or a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add enough butter to lightly film the bottom, about 1/2 teaspoon. Place the soaked bread on the griddle and cook until golden brown, about 1 minute. Turn and cook the other side, another 1 minute. Repeat with all of the bread.
- Serve warm with caviar and creme fraiche. Garnish with chopped chives and optional toppings. These can also be prepared in advance and passed around on trays.