- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup, plus 4 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cane syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecan pieces, lightly toasted and chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 teaspoons minced orange zest
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 5 cups 1/2-inch cubed day-old white bread, crusts removed
- Espresso Creme Anglaise 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish with the butter and dust with 4 1/2 teaspoons of the sugar.
Whisk together the eggs, cream, brown sugar, remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, syrup, and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the pecans, orange juice, zest, brandy, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and mix well. Add the bread cubes and let soak for at least 1 hour, or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 8 hours.
Pour into the prepared pan, and bake until the pudding is set in the center and golden, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes. To serve, cut into equal portions and top with the Espresso Creme Anglaise.
Note: If you don't have day old bread, use fresh bread, just don't soak it as long.