- 1 large leek, well rinsed and trimmed
- 2 cups strained shrimp or fish stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Peel from 1/2 lemon, coarsely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Trim the leeks, discarding the green tops. Cut into thin strips and place in a bowl of ice water. Soak for 5 minutes to remove any grit, then drain. Place in a clean bowl of ice water and soak again for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine the stock, wine, lemon peel, bay leaves, and pepper in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the leeks and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the leeks sit in the poaching liquid for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain in a fine mesh strainer. Discard the bay leaves and reserve the poaching liquid, as desired, for another use. Set aside the leeks until ready to serve.