- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pint fresh blackberries, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
- 6 cups mixed greens, well washed and spun dry
- 12 endive spears
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped toasted pistachios
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the blackberries and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the vinegars and cook until reduced by half, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and transfer to a blender. Add the sugar, mint and tarragon, and process to a smooth paste. Add the salt and pepper. With the machine running, add the light olive oil through the feed tube and process until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl and refrigerate until completely cool, about 1 hour.
- To make the salads, in a large bowl, combine the greens with the endive and pistachios and toss with the vinaigrette until lightly coated. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To plate, divide the tossed greens among 4 plates and top with the goat cheese. Arrange 3 endive spears and the avocado slices decoratively around the edges, and serve. Garnish with extra blackberries.