- COCONUT ICE CREAM:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup coconut flavored rum
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- FLAMBEED PINEAPPLES:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups small dice fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup toasted shredded sweetened coconut flakes, or more to taste
- 4 round slices orange, garnish
- 4 maraschino cherries, garnish
- 4 cocktail umbrellas, garnish
- To make the ice cream, in a large, heavy saucepan, combine the cream, coconut milk, whole milk, rum, and sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs until pale yellow and frothy. Add about 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture, and whisk to combine. Add the egg mixture to the saucepan with the remaining hot cream and whisk.
- Return to medium heat and cook, stirring constantly with a heavy wooden spoon until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours. Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a plastic container and freeze until ready to serve.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter and when melted, add the pineapples. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Sprinkle the sugar over the pineapples and continue to cook until the sugar has completely dissolved and the pan starts to bubble, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and add the rum. Return to the heat and carefully tip the pan to ignite the alcohol (or, alternately, light with a match). Remove from the heat when the flames extinguish. To assemble the dessert, spoon 2 scoops of coconut ice cream in 4 frosted parfait glasses. Top each portion with 1/2 cup of the pineapples and the glaze. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the toasted coconut into each glass, and garnish with an orange wedge, maraschino cherry, and a cocktail umbrella.