- 2 small ripe cantaloupes, halved lengthwise, seeds and fibers discarded
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Tawny Port
- 6 ounces very thinly sliced Serrano ham, or prosciutto
- 3 ounces Manchego, or other hard sheep cheese, shaved
- 6 fresh figs, quartered
- French bread croutons
- Prick the flesh of the melons with a fork and drizzle 2 to 3 tablespoons of Port (depending upon the size of the melons) into each half. Let sit and absorb the wine for 15 to 30 minutes. Cut each half lengthwise into thirds and cut away the rind. Loosely wrap each piece of melon with ham and top with cheese shavings. Arrange fig quarters decoratively around the plate and serve with French bread croutons.