- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow or white cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, or melted butter
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 12-cup muffin tin with the softened butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cayenne and mix well. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, buttermilk, and oil. Add to the dry ingredients, mixing just until it forms a batter, being careful not to overmix. Fold in the corn, cheese, and jalapenos.
- Divide evenly among the 12 muffin cups and bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit in the muffin tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Serve hot or at room temperature.