- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds assorted mushrooms, such as button, shiitake, wood ear, and chanterelles, stems trimmed and roughly chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup packed grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are wilted and begin to caramelize. Add the wine and cook, stirring to deglaze the pan and until the liquid has almost all evaporated, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer the mushrooms to the bowl of a food processor. Add the cheese, bread crumbs, parsley, basil, and oregano, and process on high speed to a thick paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and divide into 8 equal portions. With your hands, pack each portion into a tight ball. Set aside until ready to stuff the quail.