- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3 large egg yolks
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 2 teaspoons kirsch or brandy
- 1 (10-inch) pastry crust, fully baked in a tart pan with a removable bottom 
- 1 to 1 1/2 pints fresh raspberries
- To make the pastry cream, in a medium pot combine the milk and vanilla bean, scraping the vanilla seeds into the pot. Scald over medium heat. Remove from the heat.
- In a medium bowl, mix the sugar and flour. Add the egg yolks and beat until pale yellow and frothy. Whisking constantly, add 1/3 cup of the hot milk to the egg mixture, then beat back into the hot milk. Return to medium heat, and whisking constantly, cook until thick, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl, and discard the vanilla bean. Stir in the butter. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until cool, about 2 hours.
- In a small saucepan, combine the jam and kirsch and heat until dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Spread the pastry cream evenly over the pastry crust. Arrange the fruit in an even, decorative pattern over the cream and brush with the jam glaze. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Wine Pairing: Banfi Brachetto d' Aqui, Italy