- 8 ounces French green lentils
- 3 whole garlic cloves, smashed, plus 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 6 ounces chorizo sausage, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 cups veal reduction
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (scallions)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils, garlic, bay leaf, and thyme. Cover with water by 1 inch, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until just tender yet still firm, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Drain well. Discard the garlic, bay leaf, and thyme. Place the drained lentils in a large bowl and set aside.
- In large skillet, cook the chorizo over medium-high heat until browned and the fat is rendered, about 4 minutes. Add the shallots and minced garlic, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, lentils, and herbs and cook for 1 minute. Add the veal reduction and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the green onions. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm until ready to serve with the seared salmon.