- 4 whole shallots, about 3 ounces, peeled and stem ends removed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 vanilla bean
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Place the shallots in a small ovenproof saucepan. Add the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, and toss to combine. Roast until tender and just beginning to color, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Thinly slice and place in a medium bowl.
- Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and with the tip of sharp knife, scrape the seeds into the bowl with the shallots. Add the split vanilla pod, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, black pepper, sugar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon white pepper, and whisk well to combine. Toss with the Duck Confit Salad, or as desired with other ingredients.