- 1 (8-ounce) Pont l'Eveque (cheese), very cold, rind removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Essence 
- 1 large egg
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 red apples, cored and cut lengthwise into 8ths
- 6 cups mixed baby lettuces
- 12 sprigs fresh baby parsley
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped, toasted walnuts
- Sliced warm French bread, accompaniment
- In a large saute pan or medium pot, preheat 2-inches of vegetable oil to 350 degrees F.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl. Combine the bread crumbs and Essence in another shallow bowl. Beat the egg in a third bowl. In batches, dip the cheese cubes into the flour, then the beaten egg, then into the bread crumbs, shaking to remove any excess. Place on a plate and freeze until very cold, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and fry in the oil until golden brown and crisp, 20 to 30 seconds. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, and garlic. Add the walnut oil, then the olive oil, in a steady stream, whisking constantly to form an emulsion. Add the shallots and salt and pepper to taste. Toss with the lettuces and baby parsley sprigs, and divide among 4 salad plates. Garnish each plate with 4 apple slices.
- Top each salad with fried cheese cubes and garnish with a sprinkling of walnuts. Serve immediately with French bread.