- 1 1/2 cups cooked and drained chickpeas
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, or water
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Warm pita bread, split in 1/2 lengthwise
- Tahini Sauce 
- Sliced tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- Combine the chickpeas, onions, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, coriander, cumin, salt, turmeric, and cayenne in the bowl of a food processor. Process on high speed until it forms a smooth paste, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Transfer to a bowl and add the baking powder and flour. Adjust the seasoning, to taste. Refrigerate until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil to 360 degrees F. in a deep pot over medium-high heat.
- With damp hands, shape the chickpea batter into balls about 1 1/2 tablespoons each and then flatten into patties. Fry in batches until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Open the pita bread halves and insert 2 or 3 falafel patties into each. Drizzle with the tahini sauce and layer the tomatoes and lettuce on top. Serve immediately.