- Olive oil
- 1 head escarole, cleaned
- 2 pounds baby artichokes, cleaned and halved
- 5 plum tomatoes, halved
- 5 shallots, halved
- 4 (12 to 16-ounce) whole rainbow trout, cleaned, head removed, and butterflied
- 2 cups flour
- Essence 
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons very fine grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Preheat a grill.
- Lightly oil the escarole, artichokes, tomatoes, and shallots and place on the grill. Grill until tender, removing as they finish and placing on a large platter.
- Press down on the trout to completely open and flatten. Season the flour with Essence, salt, and pepper and place in a shallow dish. Dredge the trout in the seasoned flour. Add butter and oil to a hot saute pan. Pan-fry the trout until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- Place the fish on top of the grilled vegetables and top with balsamic vinegar, lemon zest, and parsley.