- 2 1/4 pounds fresh thin asparagus, tough ends discarded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Red Pepper Sauce 
- 1/4 pound lump crabmeat, garnish
- Cut 16 tips from the tops of the asparagus and reserve for garnish. Cut the remaining asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a medium sized, heavy pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the asparagus, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and white wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the asparagus are very tender, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus tips and blanch until just tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and refresh in an ice bath.
- Add the cream to the soup and bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the soup in batches to a blender and process on high speed until very smooth. Remove from the heat and ladle into 4 large soup bowls. Swirl the Red Pepper Sauce in a decorative pattern over the soup in each bowl. Spoon 1 tablespoon of crabmeat into the center and arrange the blanched tips around the crabmeat. Serve immediately.
- Pair with: Brancott Reserve Sauvignon Blanc