- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hot red pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup minced onions
- 1/4 cup minced red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapenos
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or more, to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons Essence 
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, hot sauce, onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, and cayenne in a large mixing bowl and mix well to break up any lumps. Stir in the eggs, buttermilk, and water, and blend well.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat to 360 degrees F.
- In batches, drop the batter by tablespoons into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on all sides, turning with a long-handled spoon, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining batter. Sprinkle with the Creole seasoning and serve hot.