- 1 prepared (10-inch) Sweet Pie Crust 
- 1 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup Steen's cane syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, or 2 cups sweetened, freshly whipped cream, as accompaniment
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, butter and salt in a small bowl, and mix with your fingertips until it resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Dissolve the baking soda in 1/4 cup of hot water in a mixing bowl. Add the egg, cane syrup, vanilla extract, and remaining 1/2 cup hot water. Whisk until smooth. Fold in half of the reserved crumb mixture, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Pour the cane syrup filling into the pie shell, and sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture evenly over the top. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375 degrees F and bake for 25 minutes longer.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes. To serve, cut into thin slices and serve with vanilla ice cream on top.