- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup tomato concasse (tomatoes peeled, seeded, and cut into strips)
- 1/4 cup sliced scallion greens
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 cup fish stock
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces gemelli
- 1 tablespoon very finely grated Parmesan
- 1/2 pound smoked salmon, sliced thinly and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade fresh basil
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato, scallion greens, and garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the vodka. Return to the heat and flame. When the flame dies out, add the fish stock. Bring to a boil and reduce by 50 percent in volume. Add the cream, salt, and pepper, and cook until reduced by 50 percent in volume.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain in a colander.
- Add the pasta to the cream sauce and toss to coat. Add the cheese, salmon, and herbs, and remove from the heat. Toss to coat. Serve immediately.