- 1 bunch watercress, well rinsed and dried, stems removed
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced thyme
- 1/2 cup ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup hearts of palm, rinsed under cold water and drained, diced
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts, diced
- 1/2 cup lump crabmeat
- Toasted French bread croutons, accompaniment
- Place 2 ring molds, about 3 to 4 inches each, in the center of 2 salad plates. Arrange the watercress around the molds.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, and salt. Slowly add the olive oil, whisking constantly, until emulsified. Add the shallots, parsley and thyme and whisk until well incorporated.
- In a bowl, toss the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of the dressing and 1 teaspoon of the chives. Using a spoon, divide the tomatoes between the ring molds. Repeat the process with the cucumber, hearts of palm, artichoke hearts, and crabmeat, packing each layer down with the back of a spoon.
- Carefully remove the molds and drizzle dressing over the watercress. Serve with toasted French bread croutons.