- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup anisette or sambuca
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon aniseeds
- Lemon Ice Cream 
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 1 large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, beating after the addition of each. Add the dry ingredients, alternating with the anisette. Add the vanilla and mix well. Fold in the nuts and aniseeds.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each under your palms to make a log, about 12-inches in length, and 2-inches in diameter. Place logs on the baking sheets, about 2-inches apart. Bake until golden brown and firm, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on the sheet.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
- Transfer the cookie log to a large cutting board and with a heavy knife cut into 3/4-inch thick slices. Spread the cookies on the baking sheet. Bake, turning halfway through cooking, until firm and crisp, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.