- 4 venison medallions, about 8 ounces each
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Celery Root-Pear Puree 
- Season the venison on both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the venison and cook until brown, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Add the butter and shallots to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the vinegar and stir to deglaze the pan, about 1 minute. Add any juices that have run off from the venison and stir to incorporate. Remove from the heat and adjust seasoning, to taste.
- Divide the Celery Root-Pear Puree among 4 serving plates and top each with a venison medallion. Pour the balsamic reduction over the venison and serve.