- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons Essence 
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup vegetable oil, for pan-frying
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Smoked Trout, Apple, and Horseradish Cream 
- Place the parsnips in a pot, with enough water to cover by 1-inch. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher with the cream, butter, salt, and pepper. Let sit until cool enough to handle. Form into small cakes, about 3 inches in diameter and 1-inch high.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with the Essence. Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brush the cakes on both sides with the beaten egg and dip into the breadcrumbs. In batches, pan-fry the cakes in the hot oil until golden brown on both sides, adding more oil as needed.
- Remove from the pan and serve immediately with the Smoked Trout, Apple and Horseradish Cream.