- 4 baking potatoes, like russets, about 3 pounds, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar, grated
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place the potatoes and 1 teaspoon salt in a heavy 4-quart saucepan and cover with water by 1-inch. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain in a colander and return to the cooking pot. Add the cream, butter, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper. Place the pan over medium low heat and mash with a potato masher to incorporate the ingredients and achieve a light texture, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the bacon, grated cheese, sour cream, and chopped chives and stir until thoroughly combined. Season, to taste.
- Serve immediately.