- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coarsely grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound ripe bananas, cut in half and halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- In a medium saucepan, combine the wine, water, sugar, and ginger, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a skillet and melt. Add the bananas, cut sides down, add the five-spice and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Transfer to a bowl. Pour the hot syrup onto the bananas and gently toss. Let stand at least 10 minutes.