- 1 pound pork butt, trimmed of fat
- 2 yellow onions, quartered
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Chile Verde 
- Corn Tortillas, accompaniment
- Diced, seeded tomatoes, accompaniment
- Sour cream, accompaniment
- Place pork butt, yellow onions, cumin, bay leaves, Mexican oregano, salt, black peppercorns and cayenne in a large saucepan and cover with water by 1-inch. Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes, skimming the surface to remove any scum that forms. Drain in a colander.
- Shred the drained pork and return to the pot. Add the Chile Verde and stir well. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, and cook until heated through. Serve hot with tortillas and other desired condiments.