- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped lemongrass
- 1/4 cup peeled and minced fresh ginger
- To make the simple syrup: In a heavy medium saucepan, combine the water and sugar and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir, and simmer until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, combine the coconut milk, water, lemongrass and ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Add the simple syrup and stir well. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container.
- Cool in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Pour into an ice cream machine and process according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.