- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Powdered sugar
- Steenís Pure Cane Syrup, optional
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil with the salt. Add the rice and cook until it is soft and slightly mushy, about 30 minutes.
- In a bowl dissolve the yeast in the 1/2 cup warm water. Add the rice and stir well to mix. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm, draft-free place for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar, flour and cinnamon, and fold into the rice mixture to make a thick batter. Let rise, covered, in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil to 360 degrees F. Drop the batter by tablespoonfuls into the hot oil and cook, turning, until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, and drizzle with Steenís syrup, if desired.