- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound fresh ramps, cleaned and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 2 1/2 pounds new potatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 slices brioche (or bread of your choice)
- White truffle oil
- 4 slices Fontina or Havarti cheese
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the ramps and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the ramps are soft, about 6 minutes. Add the bay leaf and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the stock and the potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender, and the mixture is thick and creamy, about 1 hour. Remove the soup from the heat. Discard the bay leaf and slowly add the cream, and stir to blend. Adjust seasoning.
- Brush each side of the bread with the truffle oil. Place a slice of cheese on 4 slices of the bread. Place the remaining bread on top of the cheese. Put the sandwiches on a hot grill and grill until golden brown and the cheese melts, about 2 minutes on each side. Cut each sandwich into five finger-size slices. Serve with the soup.