- 5 slices bacon, cut into one-half-inch pieces
- 1 small (about 1 1/2 pounds) red cabbage, shredded
- One-half cup dry red wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fry the bacon in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until almost crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Drain all but about 3 tablespoons of the fat. Stir the cabbage into the same skillet with the reserved bacon fat and cook, tossing, for about 2 minutes. Stir in the wine and season well with salt and pepper. Simmer over medium heat, tossing from time to time, until the liquid has evaporated and the cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes. Do not overcook the cabbage. Stir in the bacon and serve.