- JELLY GLAZE:
- Three and one-half cups fresh squeezed Texas red grapefruit juice
- One-fourth cup lemon juice
- 7 cups sugar
- 2 (3-ounce) pouches liquid pectin
- 8 partially deboned quail
- 8 large jalapeno peppers
- 1 Texas red grapefruit
- 1 Texas orange
- Prepare the jelly glaze in advance by combining all ingredients (except the liquid pectin) in a large, heavy saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil for 1 minute, then remove from the heat and quickly skim off the foam. Stir in the liquid pectin and ladle into hot sterilized jars. Cover with lids and rings, then process jars in boiling water for 5 minutes to seal.
- Rinse the quail in cold water and trim fat from the sides. Stuff whole jalapenos into each cavity and brush thoroughly with grapefruit jelly. Grill the birds until cooked through to the bone, brushing with the glaze from time to time. Place a few round slices of grapefruit and orange on the grill for a few seconds on each side, making sure the fruit is only marked but not burned. Serve quail and citrus slices with wild rice.
- Makes 8 servings