- 7 large sweet potatoes, about 3 pounds
- 4 large oranges
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let rest until just cool enough to handle.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Make the orange cups by cutting the oranges in half and scooping out the pulp, leaving only the shell. Set aside.
- Peel the potatoes and put into a large bowl. Discard the skins and any tough, stringy fibers. Add the butter, and with an electric mixer, beat out the lumps. Add the sugar, eggs, orange juice, heavy cream, and brandy, and mix until smooth. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, and mix well. Re-season to taste.
- Spoon the sweet potato mixture into the orange cups, mounding and smoothing the top. Bake until puffed and slightly golden, about 20 minutes.