- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 or 4 large)
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup pecan pieces
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large, heavy pot and add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil.
- Cook the potatoes at a low boil until they are fork-tender, between 30 and 45 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. Have an adult help you test the potatoesóthe water is boiling hot!
- Using oven mitts or pot holders, drain in a colander set in the sink, pouring away from you. Set the potatoes aside and allow to cool for at least 1 hour before handling. Be extra careful draining the potatoesótheyíre heavy!
- Make sure the oven rack is in the center position and preheat the oven to 350?F.
- Place the potatoes on a cutting board and cut in half crosswise. Gently but firmly squeeze each potato to remove the meat from the skin. Discard the skins and place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the butter, the heavy cream, 1/4 cup of the brown sugar, the orange juice, cinnamon, allspice, and salt to the potatoes, and mix well with a large wire whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, the remaining 1 cup of brown sugar, and the pecan pieces. Stir with a fork to blend well.
- Spoon the mashed sweet-potato mixture into a 9-inch cake pan. Dot the top evenly with the pecan mixture, then arrange the marshmallows over the nuts.
- Bake until the marshmallows are golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Using the mitts or pot holders, remove the pan from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.