- SWEET AND TANGY MUSTARD SPREAD:
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 8 slices French bread, each about 1/2 inch thick
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 thin slices Black Forest ham
- 4 ounces sliced GruyËre, Swiss, or Monterey Jack cheese
- Prepare the Sweet-and-Tangy Mustard Spread by combining the mustard and honey in a small bowl. Mix with a fork or small spoon until smooth.
- Place all of the bread slices flat on a work surface and use a butter knife or rubber spatula to lightly spread one side of each slice with softened butter. Use only half of the butter for thisóyouíll need the rest later. (The buttered sides of the bread will go on the outside.)
- Turn over 4 slices of bread and spread the unbuttered side with the mustard spread.
- For each sandwich, fold one ham slice on top of the mustard spread and top with one quarter of the sliced GruyËre cheese.
- Cover with the remaining 4 bread slices, making sure that the buttered sides face out. You will have 4 sandwiches.
- Heat a large skillet (or 2 small skillets) over medium-high heat and melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in the skillet.
- Transfer the sandwiches to the skillet(s) with a plastic turner and cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes.
- Turn with the turner and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet(s).
- Cook the sandwiches until the cheese has melted and the second side is golden brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the sandwiches from the pan with the turner, place on plates, cut into halves, and serve.
- Ungrilled, this makes a yummy sandwich for lunchboxes. Simply prepare it as directed above (skipping the buttering and grilling steps), wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate.