- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable shortening or unsalted butter
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnut pieces
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Make sure the oven rack is in the center position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 6 by 9-inch loaf pan with the vegetable shortening or butter.
- Peel the bananas and place in a small mixing bowl. Mash with the back of a fork until there are no big lumps remaining.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, oil, and sour cream, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla extract, salt, mashed bananas, and walnuts to the egg mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour and stir until just combined. Do not overmix!
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake until golden brown and risen, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the loaf from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes in the pan. Turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling before serving.
- Donít be alarmed when your banana bread splits open on top while itís baking; this is supposed to happen. To be sure your bread is done, perform the toothpick trick.