- Two and one-half cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- One-half teaspoon salt
- One-half cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- One-half cup currants or raisins
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- One and one-half cups nonfat plain yogurt
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- Milk for brushing scones
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a large cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a mixing bowl. With a fork, stir in the sugar, butter, raisins, eggs, yogurt, and lemon peel until the dough barely holds together. Turn onto a floured surface and roll out with a floured rolling pin, or pat out to one-half-inch thick. With a cookie cutter (it's fun to use different shapes) cut out shapes and place 1 inch apart on the cookie sheet. Brush the tops with the milk. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until they are golden and well risen.