- Two and three-fourths cups sifted all-purpose flour
- One-half teaspoon salt
- One-fourth teaspoon baking soda
- One-fourth teaspoon baking powder
- One-half cup softened vegetable shortening
- One-half cup softened butter
- One-half cup firmly packed brown sugar
- One-half cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange rind
- One-half teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 350 degrees.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine the shortening, butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and the egg. Cream the mixture, beating with an electric mixer. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Mix again until the mixture is well blended. Don't beat the ingredients too long else it will become too gooey. Add the orange juice, orange rind, lemon extract and the pecans.
- Add the sifted floured mixture, about one-half cup at a time. (If you don't follow this instruction, you will wind up with floury white stuff all over the kitchen.) Slowly beat all of the ingredients together for about one and one-half minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl from time to time while beating.
- Shape the cookie dough into rolls about one inch in diameter and seven inches long. Wrap each roll in waxed paper; twist the ends tightly. Chill the rolls in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- TO BAKE!!
- Thinly slice the refrigerated rolls with a sharp knife. Arrange the cookies on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. BAKE until golden, about 12 minutes.