- 1 pound dried black eyed peas (rinsed and picked over)
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the peas for one hour, rinse and put in a large pot. Cover with water, bring to a boil, then drain the beans in a colander and discard the water. Put the beans back in the pot and add the broth and pork. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- In a large skillet melt butter and add the onions. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add celery and carrots and continue cooking until they are soft. Add to the bean mixture and simmer for one hour.
- You can serve with a tablespoon of ketchup placed in the center This adds color and a nice flavor.