- 1 (17.3-ounce) box frozen puff pastry sheets
- 1 (48-ounce) can chicken broth
- One and one-half pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into three-fourths-inch cubes
- 4 carrots, cut crosswise into one-half-inch thick slices
- 2 ribs celery, cut crosswise into one-half-inch thick slices
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into one-inch cubes
- 1 (10-ounce) box frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 (10-ounce) box frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Thaw the puff pastry according to package directions. Combine the broth, potatoes, carrots and celery into a Dutch oven or large, heavy pot, and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 25 to 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, cut the pastry into 8 squares and bake on baking sheet until golden brown, 10 to 13 minutes. Add the chicken to the vegetable-broth mixture and simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the onion and peas and simmer until heated through.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Cook, stirring constantly until almost golden. Add the cream and bring almost to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice and Worcestershire, and season with salt and pepper. Add this mixture to the chicken mixture. To serve, ladle into bowls and top with a puff pastry square.