- 1 quart heavy cream
- Two and one-fourth cups granulated sugar
- 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- One and one-half cups pecan pieces
- Cover a countertop with two or three sheets of parchment or waxed paper.
- Pour the cream and sugar into a large, heavy-bottomed pan. Grate the rind of the orange over the pot. Add the corn syrup and pecan pieces. Over medium heat, stir the mixture often until it becomes very thick and a candy thermometer registers 275 degrees F, about 1 hour.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Drop the mixture by the tablespoon, onto the parchment paper, working quickly. Cool completely.
- Lift the pralines off the paper with a thin knife. Store in an airtight container between layers of parchment or tissue paper at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.