- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- One-half cup wheat germ*
- One-half cup dry milk
- 1 teaspoon brewer's yeast*
- One-half teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled bacon drippings
- One-half cup water
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- *These items are available at your local health food store.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients. Using a pastry blender, two knives or your hands, cut in the fat until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water and egg and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Knead 2 to 3 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a thickness of one-fourth-inch. Use a dog-bone shaped cookie cutter to cut out "bones." Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 25 to 35 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned and firm.
- Makes: a lot!
- Note: I've also had good luck making these with either butter, rendered chicken fat or lard in place of the bacon fat.