- 5 eggs
- About one-third cup flour
- One-half teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound pork sausage (removed from the casing)
- 4 tablespoons brown breadcrumbs
- Fat or oil for deep-frying
- Boil four of the eggs in water for 12 minutes, until hard-cooked. Shell and cool in cold water.
- Combine about 2 tablespoons of the flour, the salt and pepper and sprinkle on a cutting board.
- Divide the sausage into four equal portions and flatten on the floured board into round cakes large enough to cover the eggs. Roll the eggs in the remaining flour and wrap the sausage cakes around each egg to completely encase them. Flatten the end so that the eggs will stand upright. Lightly whisk the remaining egg. Put the breadcrumbs on a piece of foil or in a foil pie dish. Brush the coated eggs with the whisked egg and then roll them in the breadcrumbs to cover. Heat the oil until hot. Carefully lower the eggs into the oil and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot or cold.