- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium-sized onion, diced
- Three and one-half cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- One-half teaspoon dried thyme
- One-half teaspoon dried marjoram
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 small can Ortega chilies
- 1 (16-ounce) can tomatillos
- 3 small boxes frozen corn (30 ounces total)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- One-half teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
- Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, for garnish
- Heat the butter in a medium-size skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until soft and lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Heat the milk in a saucepan. Add the bay leaf, thyme, marjoram, and the peppercorns. Just before the milk comes to a boil, add the onions, remove from the heat and cover.
- In a food processor, puree the chilies, tomatillos and 2 boxes of the corn.
- Add the pureed mixture and the remaining box of corn to the milk mixture. Simmer over very low heat for 30 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Pour the soup into individual bowls over cubes of cheddar. Garnish with the cilantro. Serve with warm crusty bread.
- Make 4 to 6 servings