- 1 pound fresh asparagus, washed and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of two lemons
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh herbs, such as basil, chervil, parsley, and tarragon
- 1 pound lump crab meat, picked over for cartilage
- 1/4 cup small diced red onions
- 1 medium valdila onion, shaved very thin
- 12 slices of tomatoes, such as beefsteak or vine ripened, (about 1/4 inch thick)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the water and place in a bowl of ice water for 4 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the asparagus with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice together, to emulsify the vinaigrette. Add the shallots and garlic. Season the dressing with salt and pepper. Whisk in the herbs and set aside. Toss the crab meat with 1/2 of the dressing. Stir in the red onions. Season with salt and pepper and set aside. Season both sides of the onions and tomatoes with salt and pepper. To assemble, arrange the tomatoes slices on the bottom of a medium platter. Lay the asparagus over the tomatoes. Arrange the onions over the asparagus. Drizzle the platter with the remaining vinaigrette. Mound the crabmeat salad in the center of the platter and serve.
- Yields: 6 servings