- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced chorizo
- 1 cup chopped white onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Baby Bam, or Emeril's Original Essence, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup canned chopped mild green chiles
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups grated medium Cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups grated Monterey jack
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook until fat starts to render, about 4 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until very soft, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic, Baby Bam, or Essence, salt, and cayenne and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the flour and stir for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and chopped chiles, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Slowly add the cream and stir until thick, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cheeses and cook, stirring, until melted and well incorporated.
- Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Serve immediately with or over chips.