- 3 cups sake
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup finely chopped lob chong (Chinese smoked sausage), or other smoked sausage
- 3 tablespoons julienned fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 stalks lemon grass, tough outer leaves discarded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons sriracha (Thai chili sauce), or Tabasco sauce
- 10 kaffir lime leaves, julienned, or the zest of 1 lime, chopped
- 4 Thai chilies, crushed, or 1 Serrano chili, chopped
- 2 pounds cherry stone clams, rinsed well
- 1/2 cup chiffonade Thai basil
- In a Chinese-style hot pot, combine the sake, coconut milk, sausage, ginger, garlic, lemon grass, sriracha, lime leaves, and chilies, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low heat, and simmer for 5 minutes for the flavors to blend.
- Add the clams and return to a boil. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook until the clams open, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the basil and stir well. Serve immediately.