- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 pounds fresh rhubarb, trim root end, peel and cut 1/4-inch thick
- 2 pounds strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 unbaked 10-inch pie shell
- 8 scoops of Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large sauté pan, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter. Add the sugar, 1/2 cup of the brown sugar, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of the flour. Stir the mixture for 1 minute, to dissolve the sugars. Add the rhubarb and cook for 4 to 6 minutes. Add the strawberries and continue to sauté for 3 minutes. Add the rum and carefully flame the mixture. Sauté for 1 minute. Mix thoroughly and remove from the heat. Cool the mixture. In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining butter, brown sugar, flour and sliced almonds. Using your hands, blend well, until the mixture resembles a crumb-like texture. Pour the rhubarb and strawberry filling into the pie shell. Sprinkle the crumb filling evenly over the fruit filling. Place the pie in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the pie from the oven. Let the pie cool before serving, about 10 minutes. Slice and serve warm with vanilla ice cream.