- 1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectionersí sugar
- 2 ripe medium bananas, peeled
- 10 flour tortillas (7 inches in diameter)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium bananas
- Whipped cream
- Fresh mint sprigs
- 2 1/2 cups CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cheese until smooth. Add the sugar and bananas, continue to beat until smooth. Spread 1/4 cup of the filling over half of each tortilla. Fold the other half over the filling and press slightly. Place on a large plate and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until the filling sets, about 30 minutes. In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Pan-fry the tortillas in batches, 3 at a time, until golden on each side, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat the above process with the remaining butter and filled tortillas. To serve, slice each filled tortilla into thirds. Arrange the slices in the center of each serving plate. Spoon a 1/4 cup of the warm caramel sauce over each plate. Peel the bananas and slice 1/4-inch thick. Garnish each plate with the sliced bananas, a dollop of whipped cream and a sprig of fresh mint.
- CARAMEL SAUCE: In a small, heavy saucepan, combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil, stirring often. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is a deep caramel color and has the consistency of a thick syrup, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cream, return the saucepan to high heat, and boil the sauce until it regains the consistency of a thick syrup, about 2 minutes.
- Yield: about 3/4 cup